Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Cali: Day 1

In early August, one of Trey's cousins, Lauren, got married in Santa Rosa, California.  We like weddings and we love family, so we decided to pack up the girls and make a trip out west.  Aside from visiting grandparents, this was Layla and Jenna's first official family vacation...not to mention, their first time to fly on an airplane!  As I'm sifting through all the photos from the 6 day trip, I'm thinking it would be best to break the posts down by days.  I'm also thinking it's probably good that I've waited almost 3 months to report about our see, I seem to have forgotten how hard the hard times were.  You know, kind of like child birth (so I hear...c-section for me...easy peasy). For fun, I looked back at some of my old text messages during the first travel day and I am reminded of the difficulties we encountered.  Even so, I am left with nothing but fond memories of our California days!  

Here we go...Day 1 was a travel day for us.  We flew out of OKC at a fairly reasonable hour, thank goodness.  Check in and security were pretty simple, considering we were lugging two 2 year olds with us.  Shortly after, we arrived at our gate.  

Jenna: "Are we seriously getting on one of those things?!?!?!"
Layla: "I don't know, it doesn't look very safe."

Of course, before boarding, Daddy had to introduce the girls to TJ Cinnamon.  Every time we walk through the terminal during the morning hours we are graced with the lovely aroma of TJ Cinnamon's cinnamon rolls.  More often than not, we are able to resist...but, this was the girls first time to fly so we had to do it up right!

Jenna: "Keep it comin', Daddy!"

Layla: "Put 'er there!"

The girls had fun milling around the terminal, but eventually had to see what was packed inside their backpacks.  

Jenna: "My mommy should be very scared that I've already had to break into my airplane activities!"

We finally got settled into our seats and, yes, I had to bring out the big guns...suckers.  I reasoned that suckers were actually a good idea because I've heard it helps kids pop their ears during takeoff.  Unfortunately, the girls blew through their suckers before the plane actually moved.  Yes, they got another sucker...Mommy fail.  

 Jenna: "Geez, I always have to be the responsible one."

"Look, Mommy!  We're moving!"

It didn't take but a few minutes before the girls broke out of their seatbelts and were all over the place.  We just kind of let them be because this was just a quick flight to Dallas...I didn't want to break out the good stuff until the long flight.  

Passing time in DFW!

"Now this is how to ride an airplane!"

After we boarded the second flight, we learned that we would be delayed due to our co-pilot getting in late.  We sat in the airplane for 45 minutes and went nowhere.  I know it's pretty common to get stuck on a plane, believe me...we did it for 8 hours one time, but for our first flight with toddlers?!?!? I almost had a heart attack!  Who needs a co-pilot anyway???

"Why isn't this thing moving???"

Once the flight was well on its way, it was time to open my Mary Poppins bag.  

 Layla: "This is awesome!  Thanks Mommy and Daddy for the tiny TV!"

Jenna: "You seriously think I'm going to watch this thing?"

Layla: "I always say, when one phone isn't enough, use two!"

"Time for the meet and greet!  We just know everyone on this plane wants to see us!"

Oh,'re not fooling anyone.  We all know you didn't sleep a wink on the flight!

Uh oh, the fasten seat belt sign came on.  Gonna have to lure them with candy.

Layla: "This is weird, the candy pops out of her neck."
Jenna: "Yeah, super bizarre, but super yummy...I'm not questioning it!"

After a 3 hour flight (plus 45 minutes sitting on the plane), we made it to San Francisco!  To be fair, the girls did great...just about as great as you can expect any two year old to do.  It's just a difficult situation no matter which way you cut it.  Even if everything were perfect, nothing could relieve that pit in a parent's stomach until that plane touches ground.  I have never been so happy to get off of an airplane.  

Once we gathered all our luggage, Trey headed off to get the rental car.  We were given a heads up by family who arrived earlier that dragging the girls to the rental car place would not be fun.  Splitting up was our best bet.

"Oh how cute...Mommy thinks she can handle us AND the luggage on her own!"

Almost an HOUR AND A HALF later, Trey arrived back at baggage claim with the car.  We turned on a movie and started the hour-long drive to Santa Rosa.

Jenna almost immediately conked.

Layla was holding out for the Golden Gate Bridge.

There she is, sweetie!

Sweet dreams, Layla!

We were the last to arrive at the estate where 15 of us were staying for the week.  The girls were rejuvenated and ready for fun!  I got busy unpacking so this is the last picture I got for the day.  

 "It feels so good to stretch our legs and run!!!!"

It was a super long day that was topped off with the most amazing steak dinner on the back patio of our wine country retreat.  It was a perfect ending and just what we needed to relax and refuel for the next day.  Stay tuned for Cali...Day 2!

Just for fun, here are some of the text messages I sent during our travel day...

No comments:

Post a Comment